|IS 0695 BALTIMORE BELTWAY REV - INTERCHANGE AT CHARLES STREET (MD 139) PHASE 1
|Location of Project:
|REV - INTERCHANGE AT CHARLES STREET (MD 139) PHASE 1
|Replacement of MD 139 Bridge (Charles Street).
|SHA is making major improvements to the I-695 interchange at Charles Street (MD 139) in the Towson area of Baltimore County. This project also includes rehabilitation of the bridge carrying I-695 over I-83 (Baltimore-Harrisburg Expressway) and Light Rail.
• Replacement of the existing Charles Street Bridge over I-695 with a new bridge which would accomodate future widening of I-695.
• Reconfiguration of the two-way access road/ramp from Bellona Avenue extended to westbound I-695 and northbound I-83. SHA will separate the local traffic to the businesses from the ramp traffic.
• Removal of the roundabout at the Charles Street and Bellona Avenue intersection and the construction of a new traffic signal and turning lanes.
• Widening of Charles Street to provide an auxiliary lane on northbound Charles Street between Kenilworth Drive and the ramp to the I-695 inner loop and to add five-foot bicycle lanes in each direction between Bellona Avenue and Kenilworth Drive.
• Construction of sidewalks and other pedestrian accommodations on Charles Street.
• Addition of an auxiliary lane along westbound I-695 (Outer Loop) between the York Road (MD 45) interchange and the Charles Street interchange.
• Aesthetic enhancements, such as architectural treatments and ornamental lighting on the bridge, to distinguish it as a Gateway to the Lutherville community and the Charles Street corridor, which is a Maryland Scenic Byway.
• A landscaped median along Charles Street between the bridge and Kenilworth Drive.
|Last Updated On : 4/8/2009