Responsible for coordinating Utility facilities placed within SHA right-of-way. Work with district, design groups and utility personnel to ensure utility relocations are coordinated with highway construction. Initiate and maintain policy and procedure required ensuring that highway standards are satisfied and that utility relocation costs are equitably distributed. Provide SHA and utility personnel technical engineering expertise.
Perform engineering (P.S.&E./ Bill) reviews of utility work statewide.
Responsible for preparing requests for Federal Aid participation in SHA's cost responsibility for utility relocations necessitated by highway construction.
Ensure the 3rd party utility works incorporated into SHA projects are handled properly. Agreements are executed, cost responsibility is determined and those 3rd parties are billed for their share of the cost.
- Engineering Reviews
- Third Party Agreements
- Final Utility Invoices
- Track Utility Involved Change Orders
- Utility Information
- Federal Participation in Relocations
- Prior Rights determinations
Contracts Award Team
The Contracts Award Team is responsible for reviewing, processing, and tracking projects from all disciplines of SHA, including Highway Design, Bridge, Traffic, Environmental, Maintenance, Special Projects, Service projects, etc., from Advertisement through Notice to Proceed. Approximately 300 contracts are processed each year. This unit adheres to Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR), State Finance and Procurement article of the Annotated Code of Maryland, MDOT Standard Specifications for Construction and Materials, MDOT General Provisions for Construction Contracts and the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).
- Review project proposals prior to formal advertisement
- Review project proposals prior to bids
- Lead weekly bid openings in a public forum
- Bid verification
- Create the Tabulations of Bids and Bid Analysis
- Review justification of engineers estimate
- Prepare Board of Public Works packages
- Notify lowest responsive and responsible bidder of Contract Award bidder
- Prepare and execute Contract Documents
- Issue Notice to Proceed
- Process requests for approval of subcontractor on State and local jurisdiction projects