Adapted from:

Title 11
Chapter 06 Residential Entrance Permits
AUTHORITY: Transportation Article, Sec. 2-103(b); 8-202(b)(2)(i); 8-203(a); and 8-204(b), (c), (i);
Annotated Code of Maryland


A. Work within the State right-of-way may not be undertaken until a permit has been issued by the State Highway Administration.

B. Any individual or corporation desiring to construct an entrance to serve a private residence shall make written application, in the form prescribed in these regulations, to the appropriate office listed below:

County Address


Allegany State Highway Administration
P.O. Box 3347
La Vale, Md.21502-3347

(301) 777-2206
Anne Arundel State Highway Administration
138 Defense Highway
Annapolis, Md. 21401
(410) 841-5466
Baltimore State Highway Administration
8375 Pulaski Highway
Rosedale, Md. 21237
(410) 574-4511
Calvert State Highway Administration
P.O. Box 239
Prince Frederick, Md. 20678
(410) 535-1748
Caroline State Highway Administration
P.O. Box 340
Denton, Md. 21629
(410) 479-0770
Carroll State Highway Administration
700 Littlestown Pike
Westminster, Md. 21157
(410) 848-6565
Cecil State Highway Administration
P.O. Box 486
Elkton, Md. 21921
(410) 398-1565
Charles State Highway Administration
P. 0. Box 610
La Plata, Md. 20646
(301) 934-8031
Dorchester State Highway Administration
Box 261
Cambridge, Md. 21623
(410) 228-4977
Frederick State Highway Administration
5111 Buckeystown Pike
Frederick, Md. 21701
(301) 624-8115 or 1-800-635-5119
Garrett State Highway Administration
Route 2, P.O. Box 68
Accident, Md. 21520
(301) 895-3234
Harford State Highway Administration
P.O. Box 303
Churchville, Md. 21028
(410) 838-7788
Howard State Highway Administration
Route 32
Dayton, Md. 21036
(410) 531-5533
Kent State Highway Administration
Morgnec Rd. (MD 291)
P.O. BOX 299
Chestertown, Md. 21620
(410) 778-0818
Montgomery State Highway Administration
9300 Kenilworth Avenue
Greenbelt, Md. 20770
(301) 513-7350
Prince Georges State Highway Administration
9300 Kenilworth Avenue
Greenbelt, Md. 20770
(301) 513-7350
Queen AnnesState Highway Administration
111 Safety Drive
Centreville, Md. 21617
(410) 758-0700
St. Mary's State Highway Administration
Route 2, Box 164
Leonardtown, Md. 20650
(301) 475-8035
Somerset State Highway Administration
Box 387
Princess Anne, Md. 21853
(410) 651-0317
Talbot State Highway Administration
Box 745
Easton, Md. 21601
(410) 822-3525
Washington State Highway Administration
Route 9 Box 67B
Hagerstown, Md. 21740
(301) 791-4790
Wicomico State Highway Administration
Box 751
Salisbury, Md. 21801
(410) 543-6710
Worcester State Highway Administration
P.O. Box 51
Snow Hill, Md. 21863
(410) 632-0511

C. Application. Applications shall be submitted in duplicate (in the form prescribed in this chapter) on forms provided by the Administration.

D. Plans. If the proposed entrance is to be built substantially similar to typical entrance designs available from the Administration (the example shown in Section 3), plans will not be required. The number of the appropriate plan should be indicated on the application forms. If plans are required, submit three copies drawn to an appropriate scale (recommended scale is 1 inch = 20 feet).

E. Performance Surety.

(1) To assure complete and satisfactory compliance with the terms and specifications of the entrance permit, the permittee may be required to submit a performance bond, letter of credit or certified check in the amount of $1,000 for each entrance.

(2) If a surety is submitted, the Administration will be designated as the obligee, and the permittee as principal (see Section 4 for a performance bond specimen).

(3) If a certified check is submitted, the check shall be made payable to the State Highway Administration.

(4) The permittee shall inform the State Highway Administration's Resident Maintenance Engineer when work within the State's right-of-way is completed. Upon formal approval, the performance bond, letter of credit, or posted funds will be returned to the permittee.

F. Utility Adjustment. The permittee shall relocate or have relocated all utilities which are within the paving and in front of the curbs to be constructed under the permit. The permittee shall obtain, from the appropriate party or agency, all other permits or approvals necessary to conform to the requirements of the permit.


A. All work and materials shall conform to Administration construction specifications, standards, and addenda current at the time of the permit grant.

B. All work is subject to periodic inspection and final approval by the Administration.

C. The number and location of entrances which may be granted shall be based on usage, interior and exterior traffic patterns, and current design policy of the Administration.

D. Circular drives (ingress and egress point connected by a common driveway) require a minimum frontage of 100 feet.

E. The minimum width of a residential entrance is 10 feet, and the maximum width is 20 feet, unless otherwise permitted by the District Engineer. An exception shall be made by a permit, signed by the District Engineer.

F. Existing sidewalks, curb, and gutter disturbed by construction shall be replaced in kind to the alignment and grade specified by authorized Administration personnel.

G. Positive drainage shall be maintained. Minimum pipe size is 18 inches or equivalent elliptical pipe. An end section or end walls, required by the Resident maintenance Engineer, shall be installed at the ends of the pipe. All pipes shall be State approved or certified. Drainage pipes shall be located as far as practicable from the edge of the traveled way to reduce the hazard to traffic. The minimum desirable distance is 30 feet. Where pipe headwalls or other physical obstructions are placed within the clear zone, they shall be protected by guardrails or other appropriate barrier system.

H. Paving.

(1). Area with Existing Sidewalks and Concrete Curb and Gutter. Paving shall consist of 6 inches Portland Cement Concrete on a suitable sub-base.

(2). Area Without Sidewalks and Concrete Curb and Gutter. Paving shall consist of 3 1/2 inches bituminous concrete (2 inch base, 1 1/2 inch surface) on 6 inches crusher run stone or 6 inches selected backfill. Variance to suit the conditions and locale may be made by a permit, signed by the District Engineer.

I. If the roadway is on embankment and the roadway is not provided with existing standard traffic barrier along the roadway embankment, the driveway or embankment side slope shall be as flat as possible to reduce the hazard to traffic. The minimum desirable embankment side slope shall be 10:1 within 30 feet of the edge of the traveled lane or to the right-of-way line, whichever is less.

J. Mailboxes

(1) Mailboxes erected within the SHA's right-of-way shall be placed on a break-away type post or support.

(2) The maximum size wooden post will be 4" x 4". The maximum size pipe type support will be 2" in diameter. Any other type of support, ornamental or otherwise, will not have a structural strength greater than either of the two items listed above.

(3) The property owner will be directed to remove any mailbox support of a size greater than that listed above, and if not removed by the property owner, it will be removed by the SHA forces.

(4) The SHA is not responsible for any damages to the mailbox(s) regardless of how the damage may occur.

previous graphic next graphic