Click here to see a list of MdQI members
Click here to see conference rating based on questionnaire responses
Subcommittee Goals & Objectives
Co-chairs: Ray Moravec
Members: Shelly Baqoul, Scheryl Brown, Brain Dolan, Terry Gallion, Bob Long, Suenette Pope, Howard Weissberg
Goal: Improve communication among transportation industry partners in Maryland
Objective: To provide an annual format to promote, educate and improve the transportation industry in Maryland.
Strategy #1: Make All Key Decisions Regarding Conference Early in the Year
- Decide conference dates and format.
- Reserve conference hotel/facility including all necessary rooms
- Decide breakout session topics and confirm key speakers by September and October 2000 respectively. COMPLETE
- Send out conference registration form by November 2000. COMPLETE
Strategy #2: Coordinate & organize breakout sessions
- Develop topics around current issues with feedback from the steering committee and sub committees.
- Identify interesting and dynamic speakers and ensure proper coordination.
- Develop breakout session schedule (i.e. repeat sessions or continuous sessions)
- Ensure breakout sessions are properly and easily explained in the conference brochure to minimize confusion of conference participants.
Strategy #3: Maintain Communication with Steering Committee and Between Subcommittees
- Designate point of contact for each subcommittee.
- Discuss action items at steering committee meetings.
MdQI Conference Evaluation
Co-chairs: Brigid Seering, Steve Whitecotton
Members: Jeff Amoriello, Greg Brzozowski, Dave Creighton, Frank Flynn, Diane Fracassi, John Hayter, Mahmoud Mirshah, Adrian Palazzi, Stephanie Pratt-Carder, Gradon Tobery, John Zanetti
Goal: To develop, initiate, and promote partnering which provides a unique opportunity to improve working relationships in the highway industry.
Objective#1: Plan and conduct partnering breakout session for the annual MdQI Conference.
Strategy: Coordinate and organize breakout session
- Decide breakout session theme and topics.
- Choose and confirm key speakers by October 2000. COMPLETE
- Submit breakout session write-up and materials (A/V equipment) list to Conference Sub-Committee by September 2000 and November 2000 respectively. COMPLETE
- Prepare write-up for conference summary book.
Breakout session evaluations and attendance of participants
Objective#2: Develop and track standard methods of measurement for successful partnering by January 2001.
Strategy : Define perfomance measurement and evaluate partnering data.
- Discuss standard methods of measurement for partnering projects with all seven SHA districts, contractors, and consultants.
- Inform partnering projects that they can choose any five-performance measures to track for the year 2000 (practice year).
- Finialize partnering feild guide and five performance measures that every partnering project will track and measure (January 2001 and on). COMPLETE
- Collect data from all partnering and analyze results for both years 2000 and 2001.
Graphs from analysis of all partnering projects
Objective#3: Develop partnering training plan that will improve the quality of construction projects by March 2001.
Strategy#1 : Provide joint partnering training for Highway Industry stakeholders.
- Discuss with MdQI Partnering Sub-Committee the training path that we will take.
- Choose a consultant firm to teach partnering to project engineers, project managers, and consultant designers.
- Schedule training sessions and recruit participants from SHA, Maryland Highway Contractors Association, and the Maryland Consultant Engineering Council.
Strategy#2 : Improve Current initial partnering workshop by hiring independent consultant firm.
- Interview consultant firms for workshop presentation to improve statewide consistency.
- Meet with Maryland Highway Contractor Association to get buy-in for consultant firm to present initial workshops statewide.
- Meet with one district to set up pilot project for consultant to perform workshop facilitation.
- Proceed with implementation of program statewide.
Strategy#3 : Provide training for 2001 Construction Expo COMPLETE
- Form a small Sub-Committee from MdQI Partnering Team to work on training topic.
- Choose and confirm key speaker.
- Have a dry run with key speaker to workout all details for presentation.
- Present topic to SHA construction inspection personnel.
Key Performance Measure:
Improvement in performance measure ratings; Increase in partnering projects