Maryland Quality Initiative
Subcommittee Goals & Objectives Cont.
DEVELOPMENT & RECRUITMENT SUB-COMMITTEE:
Co-chairs: Barry Catterton, Marisa Lynch
Members: Max Azizi, Vanessa Braddy, Zia Burleigh, Sam Christine, Brian Dolan, Eileen Edwards, Tom Evans, Woody Hood, John Huchrowski, John Koehn, Melissa Kosenak, Sam Miller, Jim Munro, Donna Nelson, Jitesh Parikh, Lora Rakowski, Steve Rapley, Karen Saab Lynda Shipley, Robyn Talesnik, Nate Tarbox, Dick Weddle
Goal#1: To attract qualified candidates for entry-level transportation technician positions to the Maryland transportation industry
Objective#1: To increase the number of applicants for technician positions.
- Meet with business and civic organizations to plan recruitment strategies
- Meet with industry human resource professionals to build partnership for recruiting technicians
- Promote career opportunities for technicians through various marketing methods/techniques
- Develop transportation careers website by July 2001 to post job openings for technician positions
- Develop careers brochure by July 2001 to showcase transportation opportunities
Objective #2: To hire 50 non-college-bound students from targeted high schools to industry organizations/agencies by September, 2003.
Strategy : Meet with educators (school counselors, vocational education teachers, school to work coordinators) from selected counties and Baltimore City
- Schedule a meeting with Baltimore City and Baltimore County school to work coordinators by September 17, 2001.
- Develop transportation careers brochure for high school students by September 2001
Strategy : To plan a Transportation Construction Career Day event by October 2002.
- Obtain funding from FHWA and other sources
- Obtain information from other state DOT's that have held similar construction career days to use as benchmarks
- Meet with educators to involve them in planning career day
Goal #2: To promote awareness of transportation technician careers to middle school students
Objective: To achieve a 80% positive awareness of transportation careers by middle school students by January 2002
- To make presentations of the transportation careers to selected middle schools by January 2002
- Enhance current transportation careers website to attract teens
- Meet with middle school counselors to inform them of the committee's goals and to develop a schedule to visit schools.
- Obtain resources to take to middle schools (interactive CD-Roms, tools)
- Develop a list of schools to target